Brendan Nelson was in Moree with the PM, but Herron wasn't?  Sounds like those rumours of an new Aboriginal Affairs minister are correct.  The more things change...?

Tim

The Sydney Morning Herald
In Moree, a visit by the PM is as rare as an apology

Date: 14/06/2000

By ANDREW CLENNELL in Moree

They didn't make it to the walk across the harbour bridge, but the Prime Minister, his deputy and another two senior Cabinet ministers
showed up in Moree last night to watch school children dance in an eisteddfod.

"We'd still like to find out why you're here, Prime Minister," local ATSIC chairman, Mr Lyall Munro, said as he finished a speech. A
few moments earlier, Mr Munro had said he would not ask Mr Howard to say "sorry". But he did welcome the move by various State
premiers and bridge walkers to say that word.

Mr Munro said he had not seen a prime minister in Moree since Malcolm Fraser visited during floods in the 1970s. Last night, he had the
PM and several key Coalition Government members.

There was Mr Howard, his deputy Mr Anderson, the Workplace Relations Minister, Mr Reith, Reconciliation Minister, Mr Ruddock, Mr
Howard's right-hand man, Bill Heffernan, and the Liberal Member for Bradfield, Brendan Nelson, widely touted as the next occupant of
the aboriginal affairs portfolio.

Democrats' Senator Aden Ridgeway was also there.

The current Minister for Aboriginal Affairs, Senator Herron, however, did not make the trip. He had commitments in the Northern
Territory.

Dr Nelson said he was there because of his long-running interest in the Federal Government-funded Croc Eisteddfod, a regional
performance event this year being held in Moree, Alice Springs and Weipa. The Moree event features 1,000 children and has the theme
"respect yourself, respect your culture".

As Mr Howard opened the event, a voice rang out from the crowd: "Say sorry!"

Earlier, Mr Howard received a different message when local Aboriginal councillor and Liberal Party area president, Mr Tony Dennison,
told him he did not want to hear him say sorry.

So, Mr Howard was asked by reporters, was his trip to Moree to make up for his decision not to walk across the harbour bridge?

"It's not a question of making up," he said. "It's a question of demonstrating a practical interest in practical reconciliation - I have always
believed in that ... the best thing we can do is provide a better opportunity in life ..."

Senator Ridgeway could not help himself with a dig in his speech at a reconciliation function at the Moree Plains Gallery, saying that the
Aboriginal employment program in the town, run with the assistance of cotton growers and $600,000 of Federal money, was due to lose
its government funding in three months.

Earlier, he told the Herald: "I think that it's a good gesture, Mr Howard's visit. But you can't make the gesture without some substance."

Mr Ridgeway said Mr Howard should have come to the town to make an announcement on continued funding.

Mr Reith said later the program had proved successful and its extension would receive "favourable consideration but we have to go
through the process".

This material is subject to copyright and any unauthorised use, copying or mirroring is prohibited.