My apologies - the previous posting of the Introduction
was sent in mid-scan; was incomplete and had not been
edited to correct scanning errors. Copies of the full essay (16pp)
are available from Evelyn on request (see below)

REWIND. BRITAIN -AUSTRALIA
REPAYING OUR SHARED HISTORY
INTRODUCTION

This essay endeavours to place the history we share with Britain into
context. A patchwork of quotes, it is a grass-roots attempt to give a
perspective to that history by looking at the process of Enclosure in
Britain leading into the eighteenth century.  Enclosure of the fields was a
natural development of the age-old traditional system of open field farming.
It saw the consolidation of many small holdings into much larger ones. It
was the enclosing of the common and waste lands however which caused the
greatest damage to Britain's traditional rural communities. It was this
phase of agrarian reform that played a large part in creating the
paradoxical social conditions that existed in Georgian England at the time
of the establishment of Botany Bay as a Penal colony.

We are at present engaged in a process of national reconciliation with our
nation's first people. Ignorance of the varied elements of our history is
our enemy, functioning to perpetuate the injustices brought to these
shores in 1788. A wide-ranging review of the history we share with
Britain needs to take place before true reconciliation can be achieved.
Both Australia and Britain owe a debt to the indigenous peoples
because of that history. Britain must take her place at our reconciliation
table.
 It is imperative that the legitimacy of Britain's decision to apply the
principle
 of terra nullius or vacuum domicillius to this continent be thoroughly
examined.
The consequences are still very much present history. They are played out
 in our country every day.  Expressed in these words by Commissioner
Elliott Johnson in the National Report of the Royal Commission into
Aboriginal Deaths in Custody: "the pinpricking domination, abuse of
personal power, utter paternalism, open contempt and total indifference
with which many aboriginal people were visited on a day to day basis"

 On 26 January , 1788 Britain invaded, settled, colonised, it makes no
difference how retrospectively viewed, the facts remain. Indigenous people
 were usurped from their traditional lands. Not by ordinary settlers or the
religiously persecuted but by a unique army of convicted felons.  Paupers
or criminals these disgraced, desperate people having
escaped the gallows, were rejected and discarded by their own tribe.
Banished as far as was physically possible from their homeland. Those who
survived the crushing cruelty of their captors were subsequently allowed to
rule, to exercise control over and to displace the traditional owners. To
oust them from their land and to claim that land as their own, under the
sanction of British property law.

The consequence of Britain's actions were no secret.  The dumping of the
convicts led to 'inhumanity, cruelty and disaster' for the Aborigines.
The evidence of the evils of dispossession, displacement
and impoverishment in both the penal and colonial expansion phases were
known to the British Govermnent through its Colonial Office Administrators.
They were in posession of a mass of detailed information, giving account of
the
parlous condition of the 'indigenous inhabitants'. These references are
available in the Archives of the various Australian States and of the
British Colonial Office. They are made even more accessible through the
numerous references to them in the works of such writers as Henry Reynolds.

The knowledge of our origins and of settlement in this country is
superficial and selective. It is because of this amnesia that we do not
perceive the source of the narrow 'them and us' bigoted mind-set that
persists to this day

It is from this prejudice we continue to marginalise the indigenous people.
To blame them for their poor health, inadequate housing, high unemployment
rates, economic dependency and over-representation in the penal system.
Britain bequeathed us an unjust, unfair ethos. We have perpetuated it and
built upon it.

Ignorance is no excuse for national injustice. We have a
great need for truthful information and a revolution in our thinking. It is
up to us to work out our own solutions. We should be confident in this
process. History teaches us that when we are true to ourselves we can and do
solve our problems in our own way. Our approach to Gallipoli, from where we
have indeed built a national ethos around a defeat in battle proves this
point. And nothing more so than the Referendum result of 1999.

On 6th November, last year despite statistics that indicated the majority of
Australians would prefer a Republican form of Government with an Australian
Head of State, we voted to retain our links with Britain and the Crown. As a
nation we took a conscious decision to tighten rather than loosen our
connections. In essence the result avowed our shared history.

 Following the result it is not possible, nor is it appropriate to leave
Britain out of the
loop of acknowledgment, recognition and responsibility for the harm done in
her name to the original Australians by the actions of the Executive
Government,. its Representatives and its Colonial Office Administrators. We
share a history with Britain. Both nations have profited hugely from that
history.

 The establishment of modem Australia under the principle of terra
nullius resulted in the near destruction of the Aborigines by overt hostile
acts. By dispossession and exclusion from their traditional lands at the
point of a gun. By the destruction of their family groupings and the loss of
family structures. By the decimation of their people from introduced
disease.

For those who say this history is 'a bridge too far' why are our leaders
 clustering around Westminster in celebration of the centenary of our
national Federation of 1901?

The establishment of a Truth and Reconciliation Council similar to that
 instituted in South Africa, would help to bring recognition and clarity to
the motives, reasoning and attitudes that lay behind the demonisation
of the indigenous people of our land. We are not seeking an alibi, rather
a more realistic assessment of these harsh actions and attitudes that
resulted in the social and economic chasm that divides our nation today.

 In this Twenty first Century , Australia must understand and acknowledge
 its past; recognise and acknowledge its present; devise and construct
a just nation for the future. On our journey of reconciliation, we are a
people
in transition. Moving from where we are now, playing out another country's
history , to the nation we can become. We are poised to decide what sort
of nation that will be. It is only when we move together as a whole
inclusive
people, that it can be the just and equal country of our rhetoric, the
nation of
the 'fair go'

The solutions to our problems are ours alone. The choices are ours alone.

Evelyn Mamie
June 2000

Should you be interested in a copy of the essay itself
Contact [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Fax 02 9349 8839