Naomi wrote:

>I resent that the world gets this lovely more often than not anglo cheesy
>version of how wonderful and multicultural our nation is, when it is far
>from being an accurate representation.

Just a quick comment on this.  Rest assured, the world has no such "anglo
cheesy version of how wonderful and multicultural our nation is".  I lived
for 4 years in Europe (mainly London) and barely heard a positive comment
about Australia.  The usual and dominating image is of a sexist racist
uncultured backwater.  It was far from uncommon to be a called a 'convict'.
I remember watching a TV talkback show with callers from all over Europe and
to a person they perpetuated this extremely negative image of us.  In
Britain, Australians are about the 3rd lowest of low after the Irish and the
Asians (mainly subcontinent).  Of course, our infamy is reinforced almost
daily by the likes of Germaine Greer, Clive James etc who make a good living
as "official" spokespersons for the country they left 30 years ago.

So cheer up, Naomi!  They hate us!

Tim