media release

           DEATHS IN CUSTODY WATCH COMMITTEE (WA) Inc.
           207 Beaufort St Perth Western Australia 6000
                   PO Box 8196 Perth WA 6849
Tel: 61(0)8 9227-5751              Mobile: 041993-0375
Fax: 61(0)8 9227-5593      E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

                                      25th September 2000

       Aboriginal Deaths In Custody Remembrance - John Pat Day

The death of 16 yr old John Pat, who died of closed head injuries, in a
police cell in Roebourne (WA) on the night of 28 September 1983, was
instrumental in bringing about a groundswell of demand for action to
address Aboriginal deaths in custody.

The Royal Commission Into Aboriginal Deaths In Custody (RCIADIC)
established that John Pat had been assaulted by police in the police yard
following his arrest. He was then placed in an unconscious or semi-comatose
state in a cell and left there until he was found dead during a cell check.

Each year on the anniversary of his death, we remember all people who have
died in custody.

The RCIADIC was established on 16 October 1987 and published its findings
in April 1991 making 339 recommendations.  Those 339 recommendations
highlighted key areas of reform urgently required, particularly within the
criminal justice system. Reforms which, if achieved, would not only reduce
Aboriginal deaths in custody but would also significantly reduce the rate
at which Aboriginal people were being incarcerated in this  country.

Over a decade on and WA continues to have the highest rate of Aboriginal
imprisonment, and sadly, we also have the highest rate of Aboriginal
juvenile detention. In other words nothing has changed!  "Since the Royal
Commission, 112 people have died in custody in WA and this must be a
damning indictment of WA Governments and instrumentalities" said Murray
Jones, Chairperson of the Watch Committee, when he announced details of
this year's Deaths In Custody Remembrance Ceremony.

        Media Invitation to attend:
        Where: Deaths In Custody Memorial at Fremantle Prison
        When: 11.00am on THURSDAY 28th September 2000

        Media Contact:   Murray Jones  08 9265-6668  040-719-1469
                                  Kath Mallott  08 9227-5751  041-993-0375

[EMAIL PROTECTED]    ---   http://www.kultcher.com/    --  Jim Duffield

Did you hear about the Roman Catholic who asked his priest to call on him.
"What's the matter, my son?"
"Father," he said, "I'm dying."
"Oh, my word! I'm so sorry."
"That's okay, Father, I've come to terms with it. But I want to ask you
something. I want you to help me to convert to Protestantism."
"Whatever for?" asked the priest.
"Well, isn't it better that one of them dies instead of one of us?" ANON