Laurie wrote:
>I suppose the bottom line is,  would any of us be "settled down" or as
Sandy
>says, ''relaxed and comfortable", if our own child or sibling died under
>such conditions?

But I don't think this is the bottom line.  Your concern, quite rightly, is
whether the maggots are an indicator of neglect, in this case, with
particularly pernicious racist overtones.  That was the thrust of your
original post I think it is fair to say?  You wrote: "Isn't this an absolute
bloody disgrace.  How could the coroner possibly find that the staff did
their best?  A 25 year old has died with his ear infested with maggots while
in their
care.  They should be sued for criminal negligence and the coroner should be
sacked----fat chance while the people of the Northern Territory keep
electing racists like Stone and Burke as Chief Minister."

I must admit, I agreed and had come to the same conclusion.

However, if I understand Judi correctly, maggots are NOT necessarily an
indication of neglect, but are quite a common occurence in this sort of
injury.  That is, the fact that there were maggots in this wound tells us
nothing about whether the patient was neglected, let alone if there were
racist overtones.

If that is the case, then highlighting the maggots and using that as a basis
for outrage is misplaced.  This is why she suggested you calm down.

So it is not simply a case of "fire in the belly" as Sandy suggests - though
again, I agree with Sandy that such an attitude is generally a good thing.

It is a case that the fact (maggots) that generated the "fire" was not
actually a relevant fact.  If that is the case, then Judi is right to
suggest that we all "do some research" about the reasons for maggots in this
sort of wound.

Of course, there might be other reasons for finding nelgelct.  It's just
that maggots aren't that reason.  If we are concluding that people should be
"sued for criminal nelgicence" and the coroner "sacked" then our reasons
should be solid, shouldn't they, and not just based on an (understandably)
emotional reaction to the presence of maggots?  That is, if as Judi
suggests, maggots don't indicate neglect, then we can't use then as basis
for sacking or suing someone for neglect.

Tim