There is nothing "contemporary" or "modern" about women taking equal place
with men in Aboriginal society in a lot of Australia.  Women play a big
part, indeed  the major role sometimes, in decision making in a lot of
communities these days.  Sadly this is by default in many cases, because
the men have lost it and the women have had to take more on than they used
to.  It's my belief that the notion of "balance" -- Garma, as they call it
at Yirrkala -- originally reflected the ideal relationship between man and
woman.

However, it was my observation when in the Yirrkala community about eight
years ago that the men had pushed the women into an inferior role -- much
as white men had also done.  This observation is confirmed by this story
below.  If the Yirrkala men are in fact changing their ways as the story
implies, then I wonder -- is it due to their own women reasserting
themselves and restoring the old balance, ie have the men given the fire
back? -- or are they copying white men who are in turn responding to the
"women's liberation movement"?