Title: Re: [recoznet2] Melbourne walk
Forgot... the ch 10 estimates were simply 'thousands of people' and once, I think, 'tens of thousands' - no numbers mentioned.  They also mentioned WA throughout the day as well where estimates ranged from 20 000 - 30 000 ... cheers again...Christine

----------
From: Rod Hagen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [recoznet2] Melbourne walk
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2000 7:51 AM

Trudy wrote:

>Hi Susan,
>
>Thank you for your report. Here is the article. The Australian media,
>other than the ABC, hasn't bothered to mention it. Maybe tomorrow ...

In Melbourne the walk was the lead story on both Channel 9 and
Channel 7 evening news, as well as the ABC. Channel 9 said 150,000,
Channel 7 said 200,000 and the ABC said 300,000. My own estimate was
well over 300,000. The 3 km + walk was simply full of walking people,
20 abreast from 9AM to 12 noon. The numbers involved far exceeded
anything else I have seen in Australia in the last 30 years. Made the
Moratorium marches of the late 60's look very small. The 400,000
estimate from the organisers  was probably about right. In Melbourne
the standard measure of crowds is the AFL grand final crowd (95000 -
100,000). This was at least 4 AFL GF's worth.

Cheers

Rod

--
Rod Hagen