From: "Trudy Bray" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "news-clip" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, December 05, 2001 11:01 AM
Subject: The Age: A political whitewash

> THE AGE
> A political whitewash
>
>  By DAVID DAY
>  Wednesday 5 December 2001
>
>  Ninety-eight years ago an incident took place near Melbourne that bears
an uncanny
>  similarity to an event in August 2001 that was pivotal to the Howard
Government's
>  re-election.
>
>  In December 1903, shipwrecked sailors were rescued after their vessel ran
aground off
>  Point Nepean. The British officers and non-European crew were taken by
tugboat to
>  Melbourne, where customs officers prevented the coloured crew from
stepping ashore
>  on to the soil of the newly federated nation. Customs was enforcing the
Immigration
>  Restriction Act, the cornerstone of the new White Australia Policy.
>
>  Despite protests from the British officers, and potential international
embarrassment,
>  Liberal prime minister Alfred Deakin refused to allow the crew ashore. It
was during an
>  election campaign and Deakin was hard-pressed by the rising Labor Party,
whose
>  members were equally ardent about barring non-whites. The non-Europeans
among the
>  crew were put aboard a Japanese mail ship and taken to Hong Kong.
>
>  The British captain was appalled - he had never seen or heard of a
country where a
>  shipwrecked mariner was not allowed to set foot on land. If this was an
example of
>  Australian humanity, he declared, "it is a disgrace to the British
Empire".

>  This year, Australi a has celebrated the 100th
>  anniversary of Federation. Yet one vital
>  Federation event has not been celebrated, the
>  centenary this month of the passage of the
>  Immigration Restriction Act, which came to
>  define Australia for most of the 20th century.
>  Ironically, the act was introduced after about
>  80 Afghans landed in Melbourne in 1901,
>  amid fears that, as one MP put it at the time,
>  the country was being "overrun with aliens".
>  The law was passed with hardly a voice
>  raised in protest, although there was
>  discussion as to the best way of achieving its
>  objective of racial purity.
>
>  The dictation test
>
>  The conservative government of Edmund Barton opted for a so-called
dictation test as
>  the best means to exclude non-white immigrants. Rather than just banning
people based
>  upon the colour of their skin, customs officers on the wharves would
force any
>  non-white arrivals to take a dictation test of 50 words in a European
language of the
>  officer's choosing.
>
>  This subterfuge, adapted from South Africa, was introduced at the
suggestion of the
>  British Government to avoid protests from parts of its multiracial
empire, and to avoid
>  unduly upsetting Japan and China. The subterfuge did not work. A campaign
was
>  launched in India to boycott Australian produce.
>
>  Some Labor MPs, including future prime minister Billy Hughes, wanted to
do away
>  with such ruses and have the legislation declare simply that Australia
would not admit
>  coloured arrivals. But wiser heads in part prevailed. Potential British
objections were
>  assuaged by using the dictation test, while the Australian Parliament,
determined to
>  create a new, white society in the South Seas, dismissed Japanese
objections to the test
>  being in any European language, rather than just in English.
>
>  At first there was some confusion in the test's administration. Some
English-speaking
>  immigrants from India were admitted while some non-English-speaking
immigrants
>  from Italy were excluded. But this was soon sorted out. Customs officers
were told to
>  discover which European languages the non-white applicant did not know
and then set
>  the test in one of them.
>
>  The policy did not just involve stopping new arrivals on the wharves. As
Deakin
>  declared, Australians were united in their support for "white Australia"
and in ensuring
>  that "all alien elements within it shall be diminished". Had it been able
to, the
>  government may have deported from Australia all those who could not be
defined as
>  white.
>
>  In the event, the only people deported were several thousand Pacific
islanders who
>  refused to return voluntarily to their islands after their labour
contracts expired. Even
>  then, some were allowed to remain if they had been long-standing
residents of
>  Australia, although no more Pacific islanders were allowed to be
recruited. The
>  economic viability of those who were allowed to remain was undercut by a
bounty that
>  was paid to sugar growers who could show they used only white labour. The
>  government also prevented Afghans and others who operated camel trains
across the
>  interior from carrying mail to isolated towns and farms. These measures
were part of
>  discriminatory state and federal legislation designed to pressure those
non-whites
>  already in Australia to leave.
>
>  While the 30,000 or so Chinese Australians were allowed to remain, those
white
>  Australians who wanted them gone could comfort themselves with the
thought that the
>  Chinese were mostly elderly men and would die out in time.
>
>  Meanwhile, to encourage them to go, their lives were made harder by
customs duties
>  imposed on their consumables, from rice to opium. As with other
non-European
>  Australians, they were not allowed to vote or receive the old-age pension
or other social
>  welfare measures.
>
>  Equality for some
>
>  Barton lauded the Immigration Restriction Act and the Pacific Island
Labourers Act,
>  signed into law by the governor-general, Lord Hopetoun, in December 1901,
as "a
>  handsome new year's gift for a new nation".
>
>  Australians liked to think that their new nation stood in sharp contrast
to the old,
>  class-bound societies of Europe. And it did. It was not only democratic,
but the vote
>  was enjoyed by men, and would come to be enjoyed by women, regardless of
wealth.
>  But not regardless of race. Aborigines were not allowed to vote.
>
>  How did white Australians reconcile their egalitarian impulses with the
racism of the
>  White Australia policy? Barton simply declared that "the doctrine of the
equality of
>  man", which supposedly underpinned Australia's new federation, was never
intended to
>  include racial equality. Non-white races were destined always to remain
"unequal and
>  inferior".
>
>  Deakin, the second prime minister of the Federation, argued that it was
not the
>  inferiority of non-white races that caused Australia to prevent their
entry. Instead, he
>  said, it was "their inexhaustible energy, their power of applying
themselves to new
>  tasks, their endurance and low standards of living" that made "alien
races dangerous ...
>  to us".
>
>  Labor supporters believed the better society they sought would be
endangered if it were
>  not racially pure. As a result, the party's principal objective combined
an aspiration for
>  "an enlightened and self-reliant community" with a commitment to the
"maintenance of
>  racial purity". The contradiction in these aspirations was brushed away,
or not even
>  recognised.
>
>  Instead, they looked to recent history to justify their racism. Labor
supporters
>  considered non-white immigration in light of the system of indentured
labour that had
>  been used to ship workers from India, China, Japan and elsewhere to
provide cheap
>  labour, mainly for plantation agriculture, in European colonies.
Australia had imported
>  such labourers for sugar farms, and divers from Japan, Malaya and the
Philippines
>  worked in the pearl fisheries of northern Australia. The Labor Party
feared this labor
>  would be used again to break down hard-won working conditions.
>
>  The issue of miscegenation was also prominent. It was thought that
inter-breeding
>  would concentrate the worst qualities of each race in the children and
gradually degrade
>  the white race. Australians liked to think of themselves as being part of
a new race,
>  grown stronger and more vigorous in new soil.
>
>  Once implemented, the White Australia Policy lay at the heart of
Australian national life
>  for 70 years. In the debates over conscription in World War I, both sides
argued that
>  the issue was about preserving White Australia. And when prime minister
Billy Hughes
>  went to the peace conference at Versailles in 1919, he ensured that the
country's
>  discriminatory immigration policy was protected from interference by the
League of
>  Nations, and that the Japanese attempt to enshrine the doctrine of racial
equality was
>  thwarted.
>
>  Hughes returned in triumph, telling Australians: "White Australia is
yours. You may do
>  with it what you please..."
>
>  After World War I, when many German-Australians were interned then
deported, it
>  was no longer enough to be white or European to gain entry to Australia.
>
>  People preferably had to be British. Australians were comforted by a
census revealing
>  that 98 per cent of the population was from a British background. A
succession of
>  governments in the 1920s promised to maintain it against a rising tide of
immigrants
>  from southern Europe.
>
>  The Italians, Greeks and Yugoslavians, who had previously been allowed
into
>  Australia, were demonised and described as black. Regulations were
introduced to
>  severely restrict their numbers, and many southern Europeans were
prevented from
>  landing.
>
>  The doors open
>
>  The 1930s Depression, in which more people left Australia than arrived,
put paid to
>  this insularity. Policy makers now acknowledge that the country could no
longer be so
>  particular about the source of its immigrants. World War II made it clear
that a nation
>  of seven million people could not hope to hold a continent without
substantially
>  boosting its numbers.
>
>  Yet while they did not all have to be British, they had to be white. At
the cost of
>  considerable international embarrassment, the post-war government of Ben
Chifley
>  organised the deportation of the small number of Asian refugees who had
been
>  sheltered during the war and who then refused to go home. Neither
Chifley, nor his
>  immigration minister, Arthur Calwell, could understand why Asian
countries were
>  outraged when Australia deported people who had been resident for up to
eight years,
>  some of whom had Australian spouses and children.
>
>  When Menzies became prime minister in 1949, he continued Chifley's
attachment to
>  White Australia, although his immigration minister, Harold Holt, removed
some of its
>  more offensive aspects. As prime minister, Holt continued the gradual
liberalisation, but
>  the changes were mostly minimal and hardly changed the mix of the
population. The
>  proportion of non-Europeans increased from 0.26 per cent in 1954 to 0.35
per cent in
>  1961, and most of them were students. There were few non-Europeans among
the
>  flood of immigrants to Australia in the 1960s.
>
>  Even in 1974, a year after Gough Whitlam had finally proclaimed
immigration policy to
>  be colour-blind, just 14 per cent of migrants were Asian. Moreover, the
absolute
>  numbers were small as the immigration program was more than halved.
Rather than
>  establishing immigration offices in Asian countries, the government
turned to South
>  America for migrants. As one immigration officer observed, the people of
South
>  America were seen as "largely European".
>
>  The Vietnamese
>
>  It was not until the arrival of Vietnamese refugees from 1976 onwards
that Australia's
>  immigration policy was colour-blind in practice as well as in principle,
with the
>  proportion of Asian immigrants increasing to more than a third of
arrivals. About
>  15,000 Vietnamese refugees were admitted each year. Their arrival could
easily have
>  provoked the same sort of hysteria that has recently been generated
towards Afghan
>  and other refugees. But it was handled sensitively by the government of
Malcolm
>  Fraser with the support of the Labor Party.
>
>  By the early 1980s, about 30 per cent of immigrants came from Asia,
mainly Vietnam.
>  Many came under the family-reunion provisions of the Immigration Act.
Although it
>  was projected that Asians would make up only 4 per cent of the Australian
population
>  by 2000, their arrival in relatively large numbers and their
concentration in urban areas
>  aroused increasing concern.
>
>  In 1984, the historian Geoffrey Blainey gave voice to these renewed
fears, with a series
>  of newspaper articles, speeches and a book calling for immigrants to be
again decided
>  partly on racial grounds. The Liberal Party under Andrew Peacock flirted
with the idea
>  before deciding against it. Ironically, John Howard was one of those
arguing for a
>  non-discriminatory policy.
>
>  Four years later, Howard, then opposition leader, effectively endorsed
Blainey's view
>  while denying that he supported a return to White Australia. In the face
of a political
>  furore caused by his remarks, Howard declared he was simply "speaking the
truth as I
>  hear it about what people think on this issue". But Howard was deposed
after his
>  comments damaged his party. The next year, Bob Hawke's government granted
>  refugee status to tens of thousands of Chinese students who were in
Australia at the
>  time of the Tiananmen Square massacre. It seemed that White Australia had
finally
>  been laid to rest.
>
>  Yet the Labor government took a harsh line on a new wave of refugees,
many of them
>  escaping from the conflict in Cambodia, who arrived in small boats on
Australia's
>  northern shores from November 1989. These arrivals were detained in an
isolated
>  camp at Port Hedland. Some families were held there for up to five years;
others were
>  sent back to an uncertain future in Cambodia.
>
>  As Prime Minister, John Howard continued this policy until the latest
wave of refugees
>  swelled the detention centres and culminated in his government's
ultimatum to the
>  Norwegian vessel, the Tampa, in August.
>
>  Ironically, while the government has ignored the centenary of the White
Australia
>  policy, its recent actions have breathed new life into it. Just as
Australia was partially
>  defined in the 20th century by the policy, so it may be defined this
century by its
>  treatment of desperate refugees at sea and imprisoned behind the barbed
wire of its
>  detention camps. Is the past becoming our future?
>
>  - David Day is a senior research fellow at LaTrobe University. His books
include
>  Claiming a Continent and, most recently, a biography of Ben Chifley (both
Harper