MEDIA RELEASE
December 7, 2001

Is Health a Basic and Fundamental Right?

As International Human Rights Day approaches we should think about our own
Indigenous people who still do not have equity of access to the most basic
and fundamental right - health.

"Aboriginal people are continuing to die 20 years earlier than other
Australians, and the per head expenditure by governments on health, housing,
education and essential services for Aboriginal people is shamefully low
compared with the level of need," said the late Puggy Hunter.

Puggy Hunter was Chairperson of the National Aboriginal Community Controlled
Health Organisation until his untimely death at the age of 50 for the
reasons of ill health. He strongly advocated for accessible and equitable
health services for Aboriginal people.

The head of the major Aboriginal health service provider in Adelaide, Polly
Sumner of Nunkuwarrin Yunti of South Australia Inc. reiterates Mr Hunter's
concerns about the health and life expectancy of Aboriginal people.

Ms Sumner said many factors have and still are impacting on the ability for
our people to achieve a level of health and life expectancy at least equal
to that of other Australians. Some of these factors include the effect of
colonisation on loss of culture, spirituality and land, inequality of access
to education, employment and housing, and racism.

"Health to Aboriginal people does not just mean the physical well being of
the individual but refers to the social, emotional and cultural well being
of the whole community.

"The United Nations Charter and International Covenants on Human Rights
define self-determination to include people's right to their own cultural,
economic, social and political institutions and ownership and control over
land.

What is needed, said Ms Sumner, is a commitment by all political parties to
a long-term plan for Aboriginal health. Every time a new government is
elected, the direction for Aboriginal health changes. We just get a new
health program up and running, and it is dumped in favour of something the
new government thinks will work better. We are tired of being a political
football.

"In the past 20 years, there have been several inquiries and reports into
Aboriginal health and they have consistently made recommendations about
self-determination and community development for Aboriginal people at all
levels of health service delivery, and to stop passing the buck between
Commonwealth and State governments.

"The problems in Aboriginal health are well known and there is widespread
agreement about what needs to be done. What we need now is a long-term
political commitment to bring Aboriginal people's health up to the same
level enjoyed by other Australians", said Ms Sumner.