media release
DEATHS IN CUSTODY WATCH COMMITTEE (WA) Inc.
207 BEAUFORT ST PERTH WESTERN AUSTRALIA 6000
PO Box 8196 Perth WA 6849
Tel:  61(0)8 9227-5751

Fax:  61(0)8 9227-5593
E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

ATTORNEY GENERAL COMMENDED - TO REVIEW THE RCIADIC

"The advice from Minister McGinty about his intent to put more minor
offenders into community based work is welcomed by the Deaths In
Custody Watch Committee" said Mr Glenn Shaw the Chair of the Watch
Committee.Glennn

"However, we do advise that this cannot be undertaken without an
appropriate historic point of reference, and that point must be the Royal
Commission into Aboriginal Deaths In Custody (DICWC) and its 339
recommendations, now over a decade old" said Mr Shaw.

"The 1986 recommendations of the Law Reform Commission (LRC) were
incorporated into those recommendations, and Royal Commission
Recommendation 111 is particularly relevant:"

    That in reviewing options for non-custodial sentences governments
    should consult with Aboriginal communities and groups, especially
    with representatives of Aboriginal Legal Services and with
    Aboriginal employees with relevant experience in government
    departments.

"We do hope that Minister McGinty both undertakes this consultation and
reviews the;

* appropriate International Labor Organisation (ILO) conventions,
* Customary Law recommendations in the LRC, and
* Justice 2000 Report by his predecessor that lies without implementation."

"All this must be part of the process, notwithstanding the need for both
suitable and adequate funding for professional and appropriate supervision
of offenders." Mr Shaw said.

"Finally, we believe that it is worth recalling words of the Bench to the Royal
Commissioners in the town of Carnarvon during the RCIADIC:"

I don't think I've ever given anybody a community service order--- I don't
think I ever would... the idea of a community service is probably a good
thing but the operation of it is not so good.

"Thank you Minister, but it is a cautious commendation" concluded Glenn
Shaw.