----- Original Message -----
From: "Trudy Bray" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "BoxMedia-clips" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, January 08, 2002 10:33 AM
Subject: The Age: Ruddock's hour of power on refugees
SNIP

> THE AGE
> Ruddock's hour of power on refugees
>
>  By MURRAY MOTTRAM
>  Tuesday 8 January 2002
>
>  Philip Ruddock began 2002 right where he left his
>  government's victorious election year: staring down his
>  critics; telling Australians they should be proud of the
>  way the country treats refugees; and being lauded as a
>  national hero by the Liberal faithful.

It is the people who support Ruddock, Howard etc who have to change if
Australia is to become a less selfish and fearful society-----the majority
of Australians who voted for the Coalition or support similar racist and
xenophobic policies in the ALP have to be changed if we aspire to a more
sharing and caring society.

The effective control of the media must be wrested from the hands of the
mega-wealthy by goverenment legislation--- and that is the
difficulty---Murdoch , Packer and Co scream the house down at the first
suggestion of government funding for a media independent of the
multi-millionaires, but there can be no democratic process without the
freeflow of ideas and opinions to the community ,untainted by the vested
interests of the media proprietors.

Laurie.