From: "Trudy Bray" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "news-clip" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, January 18, 2002 4:18 PM
Subject: AAP: Crime soars without mandatory sentencing - CLP

> Crime soars without mandatory sentencing - CLP
>   DARWIN, Jan 18 AAP|Published: Friday January 18, 3:07 PM
>
>   The loss of mandatory sentencing in the Northern Territory had caused a
sharp increase in Darwin home burglaries, the Country Liberal Party (CLP)
>   said today.
>
>   The new Labor government repealed the CLP's four-year-old mandatory
sentencing regime in October last year.

>   Latest Neighbourhood Watch figures revealed a 43 per cent increase in
reported offences against homes in the Darwin city area and its northern
suburbs
>   in October and November.
>
>   Acting Opposition Leader Mike Reed accused the government of replacing
mandatory sentencing
>   with a policy of no punishment.
>
>   "We're now seeing the results of this in a massive increase in offences
against dwellings," Mr Reed said.

>   "Kids know that it is this government's policy that they will never be
punished for their criminal activities."

>   Labor replaced mandatory sentencing with a so-called six-point plan
which set sentencing parameters for property offences but allowed judges
>   discretion.
>
>   The government has argued that increased property crime in the last
police commissioner's annual report proved that mandatory sentencing had
failed.