The Australian Jewish News

EDITORIAL : 26 January 2002

Australia Day: time to right the wrongs

AUSTRALIA celebrates Australia Day 2002 as a nation of 19.5 million people.

The life expectancy of a newborn male is 77 and of a newborn female 82; on
the other hand, the life expectancy of an Aboriginal male is 56 and of an
Aboriginal female 63.

The discrepancies between those figures is symbolic of the tension between
indigenous and non-indigenous Australians.

It is a tension which manifests itself in the fact that 539.8 indigenous
Australian children out of every 100,000 were in juvenile detention,
according to 1996 figures; the figure for non-indigenous Australian children
was 25.3.

It is a tension which is evident in the overwhelming disproportion between
the percentage of prison inmates who are Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal, and
in the number of Aboriginal deaths in police custody.

It is a tension which erupts in alcohol binges in Outback towns. It is a
tension which is visible in the percentage of Aboriginal students who drop
out of school, and of Aboriginal adults dependent on welfare handouts.

It is a tension which is a painful legacy of the trauma of 10-30 per cent of
Aboriginal children being torn from their parents, their homes, their
culture and their communities between 1910 and 1970, when families were
subjected to loss of native title, loss of opportunity, loss of language,
labour exploitation, racial discrimination and sexual abuse.

At the end of the day, it is a tension which took root on 26 January 1788 -
when the 11 vessels of the First Fleet, carrying an estimated 1487 convicts,
marines and family members, weighed anchor in Sydney Cove. Among that number
were about 14 Jewish convicts.

Governor Arthur Phillip, who had commanded the fleet on its eight-month
voyage from Portsmouth, England, to the Canary Islands, Rio de Janeiro, Cape
of Good Hope and Botany Bay, before finally docking in Sydney, raised the
Union Jack, formally marking the arrival of the continent's first
non-indigenous inhabitants and the tentative beginnings of the nation which
came to be known variously as New Holland, New South Wales, Terra Australis
and, eventually, Australia.

THE theme of this year's Australia Day is "National Spirit", urging all
Australians to embrace the national spirit and reflect on what it means.

Ours is a country of which to be proud. One of the great democracies of the
world, we enshrine civil liberties and social justice, we protect the
vulnerable, we comprise 180 ethnic groups, not only represented in the rich
fabric of society, but free to express their cultural and religious
differences while still being seen to belong.

Within that tapestry is a vibrant Jewish community, one which has acquired a
place in the sun in this great land by committing itself to this country's
development, its defence and its standing among the community of nations.

Australian Jewry's sons and daughters have risen to positions of leadership
across the full spectrum of society, indicative of an acceptance for which
we are grateful and of an achievement of which we are justly proud.

Yet - if we are to make the Australia Day theme genuinely meaningful - it is
imperative, when embracing the national spirit, that we give thought to how
it applies to the minorities within our society, for that is the test of a
truly great democracy.

Last year, for example, was the worst on record for physical antisemitic
attacks in Australia - part of a figure of 320 antisemitic incidents in
2001.

While the proliferation fits the pattern of increased anti-Jewish
vilification and violence around the world since the outbreak of the
intifada in September 2000, it also points to heightened intolerance and
racism among elements of our society - elements which take advantage of the
umbrella provided by anti-Israel reporting, talk-back radio jockeys and the
silence of society leaders in the face of such attacks.

Despite the firebomb, arson and vandalism attacks on Jewish institutions,
not one person has been arrested.

In giving expression to the Australia Day national spirit, the Prime
Minister and all state premiers should be publicly condemning such acts as
unacceptable to the values which our society upholds.

Similarly, Australia Day organiser and former NSW premier Barrie Unsworth
has noted that several Aborigines have been selected among the ambassadors
of goodwill being dispatched all over the country.

The gesture is appropriate, but when Australia Day is over, it will remain
little more than that - a gesture.

If the national spirit is to be fully embraced by all sectors of society, as
it should, the issues which impede reconciliation should be addressed
fearlessly; if not, it cannot be a completely honest appraisal of the
significance of 26 January.

It was the first 26 January in Australian history which led to Aboriginal
disadvantage; it is therefore appropriate that Australia Day should be the
occasion when we reaffirm our commitment to righting those wrongs.

If not, the call to embrace the national spirit will have a hollow ring, for
it will not speak to one of the most vulnerable sectors of our society.

Source: The Australian Jewish News, EDITORIAL, 26 January 2002
http://www.ajn.com.au/driver.asp?page=main/contents/opinion/editorial-1

This posting is provided to the individual members of this  group without
permission from the copyright owner for purposes  of criticism, comment,
scholarship and research under the "fair use" provisions of the Federal
copyright laws and it may not be distributed further without permission of
the copyright owner, except for "fair use."