The Canberra Times
Letters to the editor
Jan 29, 2002

Let's close down that embassy!
  THE DISGRACEFUL seizing of the coat of arms from the Old Parliament House sign
by Aboriginal tent embassy
  protesters is a pathetic publicity stunt to try to force their way into the
media.
  In the same way that Aborigines created the idea of "sacred sites" to
blackmail governments, now they have moved
  their attention to the coat of arms.
  Why haven't Aborigines objected to the coat of arms before? Why is it suddenly
so offensive?
  Australians are thoroughly fed up with selfish Aborigines and their outrageous
demands.
  The Australian Federal Police should immediately charge the people who stole
the coat of arms and close down the
  pathetic tent embassy once and for all.
  PETER BULCOCK
  Chifley

  Whites wouldn't get away with it
  THE ACTION of Mr Buzzacott, photographed sitting behind the coat of arms taken
from Old Parliament House, with a
  scattering of probably sacred bird feathers, using a mobile phone, smoking a
cigarette and wearing clothes of the
  modern world, is deplorable (CT, January 28, p.1).
  I am Caucasian, I am Australian, I consider the Cross (also depicted on the
coat of arms) sacred.
  If I, or any person of any other nationality or belief system, had removed the
coat of arms for similar reasons, we
  would not be front-page news in The Canberra Times. We would be mentioned on
Page 3 or 4 in the court listings if
  not already a guest of the Commonwealth. BEVERLEE RHYS
  Palmerston

  Sacred food?
  ABORIGINAL embassy elder Kevin Buzzacott says the kangaroo and emu are sacred
images for indigenous people
  (CT, January 28, p.1).
  Is that when they are not cooking and eating them?
  IVAN HOY
  Chifley