15:35 AEDST Tue 29 Jan 2002

Tensions increase at coat-of-arms standoff

Members of the Aboriginal tent embassy have lodged a writ in the High Court
seeking an end to the use of the kangaroo and emu on Australia's coat-of-arms.

The move came as tensions at the 30-year-old tent embassy increased over the
removal of a brass coat-of-arms from Old Parliament House, across the road from
the camp, at the weekend.

Tent embassy personnel believe the two native animals on the crest are sacred to
them and have been used without permission from Aborigines.

The brass crest remained in the hands of Aboriginal protesters while police
stood nearby.

Barrister for the Aboriginal Tent Embassy, Len Lindon, said the writ sought an
injunction against the use of the kangaroo and emu in the coat of arms.

 Copies of the writ were delivered to the Australian government solicitor, the
ACT government and the Australian Federal Police.

"We're seeking an order from the court that the Commonwealth of Australia stop
using the kangaroo and the emu," Mr Lindon said.

Wadjularbinna Nulyarimma from the Gungalidda people in Queensland's Gulf
country, and a signatory to the writ, said that within the Aboriginal kinship
system, the symbols were connected to the people, through religion and law.

"It's about time we set the record straight so that we can all live together in
this country, respecting each other's differences, recognising people's rights
and we all walk together in harmony."

Some tent embassy representatives hurled abuse at journalists at an impromptu
press conference, with elder Kevin Buzzacott angered over press coverage.

Mr Buzzacott criticised one newspaper of quoting police saying they would take
action, and warned journalists to do what he called the right thing.

"They (police) have not talked to anyone down here," he told reporters.

"It's like I said, they're letting the media know before us. So, we don't want
people flaming things up, we want a lot of common sense there.

He called on Prime Minister John Howard and Indigenous Affairs Minister Philip
Ruddock to come to the tent embassy to talk about the issue.

"Let's get the rightful people to sit down and talk about it," Mr Buzzacott
said.

He said campers were worried they had only heard of a possible raid today
through a newspaper report.

"We are sort of worried they might move in with batons and bash us like they did
30 years ago," he said.

One reporter said she felt physically threatened by the crowd.

"Are you dumb? You are thick-headed," a protester told her.

"You are banned from being on any of our land - all over Australia."

 İAAP 2001
 http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/story_16791.aspre