The Australian
LETTERS TO THE EDITOR
Jan 30, 2002

WHAT we all surely need right now is information and healthy public conversation
on the refugee issue,
 not secrecy.

 And, sure, all Australians who care deeply about the fine men and women risking
their lives overseas –
 whether, like me, they personally support an involvement in the campaign to
fight terrorism, or whether they
 passionately oppose it – can agree on one thing: in any truly civilised
society, one of the most important
 freedoms of all is freedom of the press.
 JACK ROBERTSON
 Amnesty International
 Balmain, NSW

 SO, Angela Shanahan (Opinion, 29/1), the Government's only hope with the
Iranian asylum-seekers is to
 "wear them down". Sounds like a form of oppression to me.

 And how do you know that "bloody-minded fanatics" are sewing up their
children's mouths, when the rest
 of us are kept in the dark because of the Government's refusal to allow
independent observers (and the
 press) into the centres.

 What have they got to hide?
 MAGGIE DEETH
 Toowong, Qld

 THAT a former chief justice of the High Court (Harry Gibbs, Opinion, 28/1)
could write such a racist article
 in defence of the Government's racist immigration policy (and give Mr Howard
the opportunity to quote this
 article in his support) makes this Australian truly afraid for the state of
justice in our country.

 What Mr Gibbs provided in part was a rephrased version of Pauline Hanson's
maiden parliamentary speech:
 "they [foreigners, outsiders] form ghettos and don't learn English . . . ".
 PETER COLLINS
 Sandy Bay, Tas

 SIR HARRY GIBBS, speaking as president of the Samuel Griffith Society, supports
the Howard
 Government's refugee policy. Samuel Griffith was my great-grandfather and was a
humanitarian. I am sure he
 would have been horrified to know we are supporting the US bombing of Iraq and
Afghanistan and then
 refusing to give refuge to the damaged people from that country.
 ERICA DENBOROUGH
 Pearce, ACT

 I AM the barrister who started the Tampa litigation last year on behalf of the
asylum-seekers. So I read with
 interest, and discomfort, Sir Harry Gibbs's defence of the Government's refugee
policy.

 I do not understand how Sir Harry expects any government official to be able to
decide – sight unseen –
 that a particular group of asylum-seekers, such as those on the Tampa, will be
unlikely to integrate into
 Australian society.

 Does he expect that asylum-seekers can be classified in advance, according to
racial, religious or cultural
 stereotypes? Because that would necessarily involve the same kinds of prejudice
that animated Australian
 policy during the White Australia years.

 Put aside, if you will, the moral considerations, and the tenets of modern
Western culture that forbid any
 return to that way of thinking. There are still two good reasons why it makes
no sense to pre-judge any
 asylum-seeker as culturally unfit to integrate. The first is that so many
asylum-seekers defy stereotyping.
 Hardly surprising, given that so many are trying to escape the very culture
they come from.

 The second reason lies in the fact that Australia no longer has the largely
homogeneous culture that it once
 did. It hasn't for a long time. Against precisely what, then, are we to test a
person's capacity to fit in?
 JOHN MANETTA
 Melbourne, Vic

 JUST short of 60 years ago, my brother gave his life in the struggle to defeat
a country where public
 attitudes and indifference allowed its government to incarcerate innocent
"undesirables" in concentration
 camps, and where censorship prevented facts being known.

 Today, I find myself living in a country under similar conditions: undesirables
in concentration camps and
 facts hidden behind censorship rules.

 I am ashamed and ask whether my brother gave his life away in vain.
 CHRISTOPHER MITCHELL
 Tascott, NSW

 ANGELA SHANAHAN shouldn't be carried away by a TV program's poll.

 She may be too young to remember that Harold Holt won a landslide victory in
1966 with a similar fear
 campaign, the downward thrust of Chinese communism via Vietnam. It was a total
fabrication.

 We all learned that later, and support for the Vietnam war evaporated.
 VINCENT MATTHEWS
 Cleveland, Qld

  Firstbyte

  January 30, 2002

Did Angela Shanahan actually see those "bloody-minded
  fanatics sewing up their children's mouths"? Or did she hear
  of it from a bloke whose cousin had a friend whose sister was married to a
sailor
  whose mate saw them chucking their kids overboard?
  Norm Christenson
  Thornleigh, NSW

 Those silly bishops, thinking that compassion and care are due to all humans
  (Letters, 29/1). Lucky we have Angela Shanahan, who, as a mother, knows
better.
  Gordon Kerry
  Bondi, NSW