The Canberra Times
Letters to the editor

Feeling the heat
Rolf Kohnert
Wednesday, 30 January 2002

It has been a bit hot lately, no wonder it affected the tent embassy occupants

Abusing their own heritage
gary russell
Wednesday, 30 January 2002

The big bigots in Australia are people like these. They abuse their heritage
and if it is not in their favour they are claim
discrimination.
To give the Aborigine a feeling of self worth, let then work for a living and
pay taxes. They won't have time to steal
any Australian sysbols.

Now they've laid claim to this?
Christopher Willis
Wednesday, 30 January 2002

Well, looks like the Aboriginies have finally found something else to lay
claim to.
I'm surprised they haven't asked for Canberra to be re-named considering it's
an Aboriginal word.
Half the street names are also from Aborignial language, maybe we should hand
over the rights to that land too?
It's been proven that the majority of the Aboriginies are on some sort of
social security payment, perhaps we should lay
claim to the clothes they wear and the food they eat, after all, we did pay
for it.

Who else will sue?

Richard Goodstein
Wednesday, 30 January 2002

Perhaps we can also get the American Indians to sue the US to remove the eagle
from their symbols.
I thought the animals belonged to a higher being and not to any people.

A law breaker is a law breaker
Chris Edwards
Wednesday, 30 January 2002

Why do we tolerate the ongoing disgrace in the parliamnetary triangle of the
Aboriginal embassy and it's associated shenanigans?
If I was to pitch my tent on new Parliament House, light up a camp fire, invite
a few mates to stay and desecrate a monument, I would be removed and charged
very quickly.
Why aren't the people who are there now? This morning when I drove past on my
way to work there were five poor AFP officers stationed there to keep an eye on
the protesters.
Those officers would be better employed chasing criminals like rapists and armed
robbers rather than baby sitting fools grandstanding for the media.
Why aren't all Australians treated the same? A law breaker is a law breaker
regardless of color, surely.

Coat of Arms should be inclusive
Karen McGahey
Thursday, 31 January 2002

I thought the Aborigines would have been proud to see part of their heritiage in
the emblem of the Nation.
Isn't it better to the National Coat of Arms as a combining of the country's
different inhabitants and a symbol that we can live as one?

A privileged minority
Christopher Willis
Thursday, 31 January 2002

The Aborigines are claiming they are a society and they are discriminated
against by the white community.
This is their basis for constructing the 'Tent Embassy' on the grounds of Old
Parliment House. They are permitted to construct their embassy on Commonwealth
land, light fires in a total fire ban and steal the Australian crest and not be
arrested.
Well I am an openly gay man, and I feel that the Gay and Lesbian community is a
society of its own. We are discriminated against constantly in employment,
superannuation, marriage rights and medical juristriction of our partners.
Maybe I'll go erect a tent on the grounds of a Commonwealth building, pitch a
gay flag out the front and claim a Gay and Lesbian tent embassy.
Let's see just how long it is before the police and media turn up to ask me to
move on or be arrested. I'm not trying to push a gay and lesbian issue, I'm
pushing the point that the aboriginal community is being treated differently
from the rest of us. Didn't they want equality?

Kangaroo action amusing
Mike Desmond
Thursday, 31 January 2002

I find the recent comments of Mr Buzzacott very amusing. While on TV last night
compling of being 'terrorised' by police who re-claimed the Australian coat of
arms, he stated that he does not recognise our laws, our police and our courts.
If this is so, why does he want to lodge writs there? The kangaroo is not the
sole province of the Aboriginal people. In fact, I am sure many Aboriginals
would assert this.
After all, was there any comment from Cathy Freeman when her fellow athletes
wear the coat of arms, of course not? Has there even been a hint of this
so-called sacrilige over the past 200 years? No.
Has there been any Aboriginal outrage when whites have culled kangaroos in the
recent past? Not a peep!
Now, on the whim of this one person (Mr Buzzacott) are we to stop using the
kangaroo a our national symbol? Is the Army to stop using it to represent the
Royal Australian Regiment? Are zoos around the world expected to hand the animal
back to Australia?
The rent-a-crowd that man the shanty town outside OPH finally need to sit back
and say, "OK, we made a mistake on that one". Unless they do, they will continue
to lose support and set their cause back 30 years.

Old Parliament grounds a dirty mess
Del McCoy
Thursday, 31 January 2002

Having been a recent visitor to Canberra, and being absolutely disgusted at the
dirty, untidy mess on the lawns of our beautiful old Government building (when I
say our - I mean all Australians both black and white) it just amazes me that
our Capital's government allows this to continue. It is a blight on our country
and all Australians' heritage.
As for the emu and the kangaroo - they most certainly do not belong to the
Indigenous people of this country - they belong to our creator and are there for
all humans to enjoy.
For goodness sake stop pandering to these people and wasting the taxes of those
of us who work in an endeavour to pay for a home for our family.

Let them have the roos and emus
Leigh Mortimer
Thursday, 31 January 2002

So they took back what was theirs? The animals may belong to them as a belief,
but that surely doesn't mean that every physical item portraying those two icons
also belong to them.
Otherwise, they had better send a party to search the globe and reclaim every Oz
souvenir picturing or portraying these icons, as well as koalas, Tassie tigers
and devils, the platypus, the list goes on.
Does this mean that every fifty cent piece minted with the coat of arms belongs
to them? That would be worth millions of dollars - would they simply reclaim
them and bury the coins - or would they hypocritically recognise them as legal
tender to support a new indigenous welfare system? If so, that would reduce the
burden on hard working taxpayers like me.
Their presence is a disgrace to honest, Aboriginal citizens. Remove them and
treat them like the squatter criminals they obviously are.

Theft was plain
Greg Bardwell
Thursday, 31 January 2002

What a miserable triumph for legalese is perhaps the first of my less obvious
observations about your aricle on the recovery of stolen property, namely the
Old Parliament House coat-of-arms.
Peoples' insistance on cowering behind the phrase "alleged" when the facts were
apparent with everyone present with eyes to see and ears to hear.
The coat-of-arms was stolen in plain sight of a multitude of government
officials, conspirators and by-standers but everyone quoted insists on the
ridiculous practice of calling it an "alleged theft".
I see that gone are the days of the plain speaking and impartial journalism as
the legal profession succeeds in further confounding reason in the public forum.
My second observation is the disturbing fact that on crown land, the ACT-based
Federal Police felt the requirement to arm themselves with a warrant to search
the so-called Aboriginal Tent Embassy.
These grandstanding native representatives seem more able to test the boundaries
of social acceptance and the resolve of the authorities than the government and
its servants' conviction to impose the rule of law and order without fear or
favour - especially the fear.
One wonders why the act was not prevented in the first place. After all, it was
my impression that crime prevention was both a police and governmental policy.
It appears that no one player in this little farce comes out looking good. The
instigators of the act at least show gumption, and contrary to my general view
on the whole business, I find myself admiring their misguided actions in support
of what they incorrectly perceive to be right.

Give us our treaty
Paul Brandy
Thursday, 31 January 2002

To all the clown haters, your people came out on long ships, and stole our land,
our culture and our spirits.
Australia as you call it was founded by convicts made up of theives, robbers and
murders, who killed and raped, and desecrated our country dry.
We have survived and now reclaim our sovereign rights. Give us our treaty.