Congratulations Tony!

Contained in Tony's posting to the group is one of the best elucidations of
the nut of the problem facing meaningful empowerment of Indigenous
Australians in Australia. I urge all subscribers to study it carefully.

Well done Tony.

No member, of what some like to call 'First People', is morally entitled to
make decisions concerning another people's land without consultation and
agreement with the Traditional owners of that land. The extinguishment of
Native Title by a Land Council that is not representative of Traditional
Owners (and very, very few are) should be seen for what it is, a betrayal of
the principles of self determination and recognition of sovereignty. It is
worse than when a white government organisation or big mining company
extinguishes, because it is blackfellers doing it to their people (not for
their people). Have no doubt, the Native Police are alive and well, and are
prospering at the expense of their brothers and sisters.

ATSIC and Land Councils (in NSW and NT)are white bureaucratic constructs
that have failed miserably to help any but a handful of Indigenous
Australians. The fact that in NSW the Native Title Unit was attached to
State Land Council (under Aden Ridgeway), the Indigenous organisation with
most to lose from the success of Native Title should demonstrate with what
cynicism the system has been constructed.

The problem is that any Indigenous person can join a land council and have
full voting rights and out vote tradition owners in their own lands. Many
people refuse to enrol in ATSIC or join land councils for this reason and
because they are white constructs purporting to be democratic, but
Indigenous cultural decision making does not conform to democratic models
and it is another act of colonialism by government to impose them from above
and expect them to be successful. They were set up to fail.

pete

But, Trudy, these aren't First People.  This is Darkinjung Local Aboriginal
Land Council, and it stands on a postage stamp of Britannic Majesty called
the NSW Land Rights Act 1983.  The blackfellers making these decisions have
no more right to be here than Her Majesty the Queen.  Last Sunday night, I
spoke to one of the "native title" or "common law" owners, as  the people
of this country (and all the other countries on this continent) are now
relabelled by the white law for the convenience of  those who wish to
continue expropriating their lands.  He was not even aware of what the Land
Council had done.

And what they are doing, make no bones about it, is deliberately and
consciously extinguishing someone else's "native title".

Deliberately and consciously.  Not through ignorance.

They know exactly what they are doing.  Last year someone sent me a couple
of old (early 2000, I think) letters from the Koori Mail.  In one of these
letters, the then Chairperson, Keith Gleeson, attempted to justify the Land
Council's applying to extinguish native title, claiming the support of
descendants who were members of the Land Council.  The land in that case
was somewhere in Gosford, it was not this land at North Entrance.
"The Land Council threatened us.  They said they were going to take us on,
that's why we dropped off, and no, none of our family has agreed to the
Land Council applying to extinguish native title.  'We will take you ALL
THE WAY,' they said.  'We are not going to be coming to you for land.' "
was the reason for not proceeding given to me by a member of the family who
lodged the first NT claim in this country.  He wouldn't tell me who made
the threat.

Now that's just not good enough, either.  Self respect at least demands
that you have a go, even if legal assistance is likely to be virtually
nil.  (The NSW State Land Council has control of funding these legal claims
under the Native Title Act, and Darkinjung has inside running at the
highest level in NSWALC).

Later in 2000, staff at the University of Newcastle started researching the
old people of this area at the Ourimbah campus.  "Which families?"  I
naturally asked.  "None," Prof Nerida Blair said. The research did not
start with living descendants, because "there are no known
descendants.  The original people have all died out," I was emphatically
told.  When she then named those who had instigated the project (members of
the Land Council opposed to native title),  I thought it was an interesting
turnaround from Keith Gleeson's earlier position.  But strategically, it
was the sort of proposition Western Mining Corp would also start from if
they were on their way to the Federal Court too.

Darkinjung is not alone doing this.  Across the border, the Darug
descendants [western Sydney region up to Blue Mountains] are right now
being forced to a full bench hearing in the Federal Court by the members of
Her Majesty's Deerubbin LALC.

What this crystallises is that welfare mentality blackfellers have now been
moved into the front line by the coloniser to take the place of the native
police and the soft white hands that took the children away.  The  pillars
of institutionalised racism in NSW are no longer so-called Protection Acts,
but so-called Land Rights and Native Title Acts, but you will need to step
through the looking glass out here into the civilised world to see it.

The 1983 NSW ALR Act  is based on the racist myth of "crown land" which is
graciously granted by Her Majesty's Government to special members of
something called "the Aboriginal race".  What makes these people special is
that they had joined something called a "local land council", which was
specially created under the Act for the purpose of receiving this racist
patronage.  These land councils in NSW are a colonial construct.  They are
no more indigenous than Her Majesty the Queen, whatever their members may
say to the contrary.

The existence and concepts of  Darkinong, Guringai, Wonaruah, Wiradjuri,
etc. law are completely at odds with the spiritual foundation of the 1983
NSW Land Rights Act -- terra nullius, the legal doctrine of racial and /or
cultural inferiority. Indeed it is Darkinong, Guringai, Wonaruah, Wiradjuri
etc. land that is being given away by the Crown under the Land Rights Act
as if it owned it.

That this was racist was recognised here in NSW  by at least a few of us,
and it was to be put to the test in the High Court in 1993 using Mabo 1 as
a precedent.  Soon after Eddie started his historic case, the Queensland
parliament put through the Queensland Coast Islands Declaratory Act "to
remove doubt"  that if the Torres St Islands did not become Crown Land when
first annexed in 1879, the Act declared the lands expropriated
retrospective to 1879, with no compensation payable.  Bjeke-Petersen gave
Eddie the middle finger, and the government amended Queensland's defence
accordingly, relying on the new Act.  Eddie then had to attack the new Act
first.  By a narrow 4:3 majority, the High Court declared the Act invalid
under the Federal Racial Discrimination Act.

Sadly, the application for Isobel Coe on behalf of the Wiradjuri Tribe four
years later was a bloated, overblown, bloody mess.  Paul Coe's only
opportunity to launch his threatened devastating attack on white law title
to a lot of bacikyards in NSW was by using a narrowly focussed and
carefully argued  attack on the 1983 Validation of Revocations Act.  There
was no need to attack its twin sister, the Aboriginal Land Rights Act at
that time.  But attack it they did, and a whole lot more as well.  It
frightened Aden Ridgeway, who sent his bureaucrats all over the State to
persuade Local Land Council members not to lodge NT claims with Coe's
Aboriginal Legal Service

Annette Kennedy  carried Aden's torch to Darkinjung.  "Because they are
trying to close down the land councils," she said.  I was there.
Any concepts of indigenous law now in the ALR Act are only an awkward
ill-fitting bolt-on since Mabo 2 in 1992.

  in and