MEDIA ALERT     FEBRUARY 19 2002         ATTENTION EDITORS

Indigenous Group To Promote NQ in Europe

A young Hopevale man will leave for Germany and Austria this week as part of
a delegation promoting Indigenous North Queensland arts and culture.

Cyril McGreen, a thirty-one year old dancer from the Thuppi Warra clan of
Cape Yorkıs Guugu Yimithirr people, will travel to Germany and Austria as
part of the fifth Jama Dreaming European tour.

Although Cyril has never before traveled outside of North Queensland he is
excited at the opportunities the trip will create.

³Iım really proud to be part of this trip promoting my community of Hopevale
and my culture,² he said.

³Itıs a bit frightening but I have been told that there is huge interest in
Aboriginal culture and people in Europe and so I think I it will be hard
work but good fun.²

³The things I learn on this trip I want to bring back to Hopevale to our own
dance troupe. Every one talks about economic development in Cape York and so
Iıd like to use my experiences in Europe to set up regular dance
performances for tourists in Hopevale.²

Chair of the ATSIC Cairns & District Regional Council, Terry OıShane, said
his Council is proud of the role played by artists and dancers in promoting
the dynamic cultures of Indigenous Australians.

³ATSIC was pleased to contribute $40,000 to Jama Dreamingıs first European
tour as part of our brief of promoting and maintaining Indigenous culture.
The fact that Jama Dreaming has managed to continue these tours with out
ongoing ATSIC financial support is a credit to the company.

³I wish them every success for their tour,² said OıShane.

Jama Dreaming director Greg Singh said the trip aimed to build confidence
and pride in young Indigenous people while at the same time promoting the
region and its vibrant Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cultures.

³Weıve been traveling overseas for four years now and Iım really proud to
say that since the initial ATSIC grant we have operated these tours entirely
without government assistance,² said Greg Singh.

Jama Dreaming has given seventeen young Aboriginal people the opportunity to
travel and gain experience and self-confidence in themselves during the past
two years.

Seven of the youths are still employed by Jama Dreaming while eight of the
others have found employment on returning to Cairns.

³We find an enormous hunger for information about Australiaıs Indigenous
cultures in Europe and trips like these give people a taste of the richness
of Indigenous cultures. Iım sure that this sort of exposure creates a strong
demand in Europe for Australian, particularly north Queensland, holidays,²
said Greg Singh.

According to Cairns Mayor Kevin Byrne Jama Dreamingıs work is vitally
important to the regional economy.

³One of Australiaıs biggest draw cards in attracting international tourists
is the unique cultures of our Indigenous citizens and the performances by
Jama Dreaming throughout Europe and Asia focus attention on this region and
that must be good for the local tourist industry.

³I congratulate Jama Dreaming and all the performers; they are excellent
ambassadors for Tropical North Queensland,² said Mayor Byrnes.

Cyril and his fellow travelers will perform for the Mayor at the Cairns City
Council reception area this Wednesday at 12.30 PM. The dancers will then be
officially farewelled by the Mayor.