------ Forwarded Message
From: WEBCENTRAL <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 13:07:39 +1000
To: "'[EMAIL PROTECTED]'" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [atsic] Media Release:  NEED TO CLARIFY THE ACT

NEED TO CLARIFY THE ACT

I welcome the announcement that Murrandoo Yanner can now take his place on
the ATSIC Board of Commissioners.

However I am disappointed this matter has not been fully tested in the High
Court.

The circumstances surrounding Murrandoo's election as ATSIC Commissioner for
the Queensland Far North Zone and the subsequent inability of the Minister
for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Affairs to appoint him clearly
requires legal clarification.

It has become clear during the legal proceedings in this matter that there
is a valid constitutional question as to whether the relevant section of the
ATSIC Act under which Mr Yanner lodged his appeal confers judicial power
upon the Federal Court or merely administrative power.

It is essential this matter is dealt with to ensure we do not have a
re-occurrence of the current situation in the future.

Ray Robinson
Commissioner for Law and Justice
Chairman, National Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders Legal Services.
September 20 2001

------ End of Forwarded Message