Welcome Andy,

Great that you show interest in developing Open Office.

Sadly the access to development is not that easy, or quick. You will need some endurance to get involved. As a first step I recommend to get familiar with the build system of OpenOffice.  Our build system is a bit complex and does need some love and hugs ;) We have 2 guides. [1] is a general guide, while [2] describes step by step which help to get familiar with it. If you run into compiler Issues, search for the compiler Error to recieve help. At the end there is a message which is not helpfull to resolve the build issue. Trunk is currently recieving changes to support Windows 64 builds. So there may breaks depending on the OS yu plan to use. You could try to build the last live version 4.1.5 which resides in an own SVN branch.

I also recomment to subscribe to our development mailing list.

Which OS do you plan to develop for?

Do not hesitate to ask any Questions or for help if you need some. We are traditionally very freedom oriented. So you are in lead to define how you participate.
And communication is key to success :)

All the best
Peter

[1]https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/Building_Guide_AOO