Thats a topic for the edge / origin setup Steve is working on (wish I
could fund him to get it done faster ! ) and I guess the clustering
with terracotta.

Our setup is

5 x Windows 2003 servers, 3G P4 2G Ram
1 x Shared Switch Load Balancer at the dedicated server host,
forwards the ports to internal lan ip addresses binded on the public
ethernet interface.

That is just sharing the network load on each machine I guess aswell
as some resources, with the garbage collection flags enabled, the cpu
still goes nuts on each machine currently, I'm not much of an expert
in tweaking java only php / apache / mysql etc sadly. We are also
sharing resources with windows media streaming aswell as DRM
licensing .NET scripts.