After some days of trying same thing I settled for client side scope change.
My current belief is that scopes can be succesfully changed only from
client. Or from appConnect using connection.join(scope).

If someone else asks again about this I ll post some really dumb and
impossible answer so one of the devs will feel the urge to clarify this
matter for all of us.

cheers,
cosmin