Sir Alex Ferguson believes Sven-Goran Eriksson was on the brink of walking
out on England to join Manchester United before his U-turn over his proposed
retirement.

It is suggested Eriksson would have left his post after last year's World
Cup finals.

"I think they'd done the deal all right," Ferguson says in an interview to
be published in The Times magazine on Saturday.

"I don't know for certain, but I'm sure it was Eriksson. I think they'd
shaken hands. They couldn't put anything on paper because he was still
England manager."

Ferguson also appears to take a swipe at the Swede's style of management,
hinting that Eriksson is something of a 'yes-man'.

He adds: "I think Sven Eriksson would have been a nice easy choice for them
(the United directors) in terms of nothing really happens, does it?

"He doesn't change anything. He sails along, nobody falls out with him.

"He comes out and says 'the first half we were good, second half we were not
so good. I am very pleased with the result.'

"I think he'd have been all right for United, you know what I mean? The
acceptable face.

"Carlos (Queiroz, assistant coach at United) knows him because he was with
Benfica and Carlos is from Lisbon.

"Carlos says what he did well was he never fell out with anyone, best pal
with the president, the press liked him. I think he does this a bit.

"The press make a suggestion about something, he seems to follow it a bit.
Making David Beckham captain, for instance. In fairness, there weren't many
options."