Quinton Fortune is ready to turn his back on South Africa to help Manchester United's
Premiership title push.

Fortune is one of the few United players still at the club this week, with 17 members
of Sir Alex Ferguson's first-team squad jetting off to various corners of the globe
for key international fixtures.

South Africa are not in action this week, which gives Fortune a chance to work on his
fitness after a fortnight out of the team with a groin injury.

However, the 26-year-old, who was successfully switched to left-back by Ferguson
during United's pre-season tour to America, is already looking ahead to the New Year,
when his country will compete in the African Nations Cup in Tunisia between January 24
and February 14.

The tournament has caused annoyance among Premiership managers before as it falls
right in the busiest period of the season.

And Fortune has indicated that he may opt not to play if it means getting the chance
to further his United career.

"The manager needs me here and I want to stay," Fortune told MUTV.

"It is a difficult situation because it falls at a very important stage of the season.

"We will have to see what happens when it arrives because I have gone the last couple
of times and it doesn't do me any good. The manager needs me here and I want to stay.

"It is awkward for all the African players and hopefully one day there will be a
solution to the problem. Maybe they could play it at a different time of the year."

If Fortune confirms he will not play, the decision is not likely to be received too
well in his homeland, particularly as he missed South Africa's friendly with England
this summer after deciding to go on holiday to America when he was left out of the
initial squad.

Fortune was eventually called up but was uncontactable because his mobile did not work
in the United States and only heard about the frantic attempts to find him when he
returned to Europe.

"I don't have a problem with South Africa," he said. "They know where I am if they
need me but no-one has been in touch since the summer and at the moment, I don't even
know who the coach is."

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/tsUolB/TM