To be honest, I used the nav manager because my editors could visual
the tree structure better in the system. For their Knowledge Base
sometimes Articles would be grouped in multi-level Categories.
Sometimes they wouldn't. And adding pages to the nav manager made the
process easier for them to understand.
However I think the inability to limit content classes is a bigger
problem.
Thank you for your helpful suggestions.