Hey C. Kent Jordan,

A solution we came up for a similar situation was to create additional
reddot projects (each with their own navigation lists) and use the
reference page from other project to link them all up e.g. Main site,
Subsite 1, Subsite 2, Subsite 3. What you may run in to is the need to
aggregate the 4 sitemaps (created for each project) in to one.
Outputting the sitemaps as xml and getting some form of active
scripting to do the aggregation comes to mind.

Please don't take this as a definitive answer and i'd also love to
hear how other people have addressed this situation.

Cheers,

 - Morgan