We use what Stefan has a the 2nd suggestion, we have also the tidy on
and have severly restricted what can be done by basic web authors in
the editing window.  Turning of things like text alignment, character
size, font, colour etc.

It isn't perfect but it does a pretty good job and most of our pages
turn out xhtml transitional.