Thanks for the update, though I still think I don't fully understand,
but maybe I could offer something possibilities:

1) the PageBuilder is assigning the same page name to more than one
combination and is simple overwriting combinations that have published
before it.  Including the separators allows each combination to be
properly uniquely identified and in doing so the links work properly.
To confirm if this is happening see if the navingation in the
published page has the same URL for more than one anchor

2) Are you using multiple target containers arbitrarily or are they
all in the same spot. eg:

    <%con_Target1%>
    <%con_Target2%>
    <%con_Target3%>

where only 1 of the 3 targets will ever actually have a connected
page.  If that is the case could you try consolidating them into 1
target container instead, and if not, could you explain what you mean
by "I'm using three different content containers, that change the body
area and leave all the navs as is".

3) Have you checked all the TC assignments are set as you expect on
the various links?  I assume they are all OK because the disambiguated
naming seems to work, but it's worth asking.

4) Is it a terrible tragedy to use the disambiguated naming (i.e. the
"_" model)?

HTH.

Regards,
Richard Hauer