I agree with Gavin, it makes sense when developing/editing template to
know which element you are working on.
For example when you use a list you have to know that there is a list
blockmark required..
Or when reading a MyElement with RenderTags you search for a reason
why you can't get any value until you realise it's an info element
(which can't be read by Render Tags)

Also my oldschool list from 2008:
10 RedDot Elements and naming conventions: http://bit.ly/5mpUKz

Took me a while to understand why you english guys prefer for a
"Container" the abbreviation con_ instead of cnt_
Innocent me...