We have deployed Canto Cumulus as an Asset Manager replacement -
actually it installs side-by-side so you can use either or both.

Essentially these systems leverage a little known (and undocumented)
feature called an "External Folder" whereby you set up a folder and
use an external system as the storage medium.  It works by extending a
COM interface.  We have written wrappers for the system so, while we
have only actually deployed Canto Cumulus (which is very good but
hardly free), we could in theory leverage any storage system you like.

I tried to get documentation from RedDot but apparently there isn't
any.  We reverse engineered some code to figure it out ourselves.

There is one down-side - in order to use the external folder in the
rich text editor there is a hack you have to make to the (poorly
constructed) RedDot ASP code that is not supported officially.  It's
the only way - I looked for ages!

What system do you have in mind?

Regards,
Richard Hauer