Hi CS,

first of all be careful using the term "Live Server" in combination
with RedDot. There once was a product called RedDot Live Server wich
today is Open Text Delivery Server. Because of this, misunderstandings
between people meaning the product Live Server and live server in
terms of production system are quite common.

Regarding your question:
CMS has templates/content-classes and contents in its database.
Changes to the HTML code and contents are done in CMS using SmartEdit
(for Editors) or SmartTree (for Admins). When finished, the CMS server
will create static pages (html, xml, ...) and publish (copy) them to
the web server. In your case to the linux server. This can be done
using FTP, SFTP or via UNC path to a windows share. So the system does
pretty much the same as you would do, when creating web pages and
uploading them to the web server. The place where the documents are
located on the web server is defined in CMS SmartTree. Here you can
find publishing targets that contain for instance the FTP path. So
there's no standard location for the files.

As mentioned before you should make all changes in CMS. When you
change the published files on the web server, CMS will overwrite the
files as soon as someone publishes the page again or during a nightly
full publication. If you start making changes by hand, then I'd ask
why you have a very powerful CMS and don't use it. :)

Does this help you?

Kind regards,
Boris Crismancich