Yes we have seen this. We were given a tool by support that eliminates
this, but we are now also seeing this with content classes. We use the
"Share Content Classes" feature heavily and it only seems to happen to us
in the "child" projects.

Also an interesting note: Each placeholder has it's own unique ID, and you
never know which one the system is actually evaluating/using. The tool that
support gave us eliminated the un-used elements, but IMO, it is not
adequate. There is obviously a bigger issue going on here which needs to be
fixed. I'm not sure if it has been fixed in any of the recent HF patches
though as I haven't had a chance to read the release notes recently.