Jian, the plugin option is very attractive very, very close to what I'm
looking for. I installed the plugin and tested it out. It seems to only
give search results for items with an option list value that has been
explicitly selected by a content author. That is to say, it doesn't pick up
default values. Since this field has just been introduced, just about every
page on the site has a default value assigned and the problem is similar to
the retroactive keyword problem.

Is there a way to make this plugin see default values? I would prefer to
use the plugin method as it integrates very nicely with the structure we've
already got. Otherwise it sounds like keyword + retroactive keyword plugin
will do the trick with minimal changes.