Dan,

> We have come across some publishing needs in the new project I am working
> on and I was hoping to get some advise/thoughts from the group.
>
> I need to be able to remove the file extension from the URLs that are
> rendered inside pages by navigation manager and any other links such as
> those inside text fields.
> Also I need to remove the first two folders from the same URLs. So, I need
> something like this "/folder_1/folder_2/folder_3/pagename.htm" to change to
> "folder_3/pagename"
>
> The folder structure is generated by the publication folders, but I cannot
> just remove them. They were structured this way to ensure pages and assets
> go to their relevant folders.
>
> So, any thought? :)

Are you using the Delivery Server?

Removing the folders from /folder1/folder2/.../folderX to just /folderX is
pretty easy if you don't use the Delivery Server: You can just change the
(virtual) directory names on the publication packages.

If you are using Apache HTTP Server, IIS, or any other webserver as a proxy
you could maybe also create rewrite rules in there? In most cases you will
need those rules for the 30x redirection of the pages for search machines
and bookmarks.

Best,
Hilmar

--