Hi Neil,

Glad to hear that the article pages are coming out of navigation
structure.  Also, you asked a very good questions.  I am going to suggest
some possible solutions.

*Option 1*
When you say sitemap and SEO, you can use navigation manager to generate
google site map

http://support.google.com/webmasters/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=183668&topic=8476&ctx=topic

Though it only generates links to all pages in navigation, excluding links
to articles, it is fine since google site map is supposed to be use as a
site map for frequently updated section.  SEO crawler will crawl those
articles once it crawls the news listing page, which is in navigation
structure/site map.

*Option 2*
You can use the sitemap placeholder.  It follows the project structure in
SmartTree, not navigation structure.  I learned it 6 years ago during CMS 7
training.  Not sure if they still teach it today, but it should be
somewhere in the documentations.

*Option 3*
Have some automatic task somewhere (in CMS or as a windows service/schedule
task) and run this google site map generator

http://code.google.com/p/googlesitemapgenerator/

source url being your published website.

-Jian