We have an option element on all foundation pages which allows the
contributor to determine whether that page should appear in the navigation
list. We check for that element in the nav templates and don't display a
link if it's not supposed to be there.  We also have a cute little button
that toggles the display of sub-pages.

However, we've got a few sections (enough that it's not a corner case we
can ignore) where NONE of the sub pages are intended to render, but the
toggle button still appears.

What we're looking for is a way to "look ahead" at the sub-pages and, if at
least one is intended to appear, show the toggle button before moving to
the next level's template.

It looks like we can look through sub-ages using render tags, but we can't
figure out how to initialize and then update a variable.  We've tried
pre-executing script, but it seems to break within the nav templates.

Any thoughts?