Hi Neil,
i don't know if i properly understood but...
- you can't use a stf element to reference an anchor > but you can use a
stf element to manage a type URL of course
- there's a method to get the IndexOf by render tag > for example <%!!
Context:CurrentPage.Headline.IndexOf(Str:string_to_search) !! %>

In your case:
<%!!
Context:CurrentPage.Elements.GetElement(stf_URL).Value.IndexOf(Str:string_to_search)

!!%>

or

<%!!
Context:Pages.GetPage(Guid:<%inf_GUID%>).Elements.GetElement(stf_URL).Value.IndexOf(Str:string_to_search)

!!%>

Hope this helps,
Sara