> On 22-Oct-99 Jeremy Katz wrote:
> > <soapbox>
> > Ummm... it says that they're all going to be deleted.  Listen to it.
> > Don't think that you are smarter than it.  It tells you exactly what it
> > is going to do, so don't bitch when it does it.
> > </soapbox>
> > Jeremy
>
> Haha.
> If I'd posted last week when it happened you would have seen bitching :)
>
> I'll sum it up for you.
>
> I was suggesting that saying "previous linux installations will be
> deleted" is inadequate, given the consequences. Would a few extra words
> saying "this includes all linux data and swap partitions on all drives"
> be too much to ask? I don't mean in the book, I mean on the menu
> where it counts and where there was plenty of room for it....
> Or even an subsequent panel, listing what will go, and ask for a confirm.

The simple fact is the notion of automatically deleting partitions,
regardless of warnings, is error prone. People were caught on this with
RHL 6.0, people were caught on this with rhl 6.1 and people will be caught
on it with RHL 6.2 if the idea's not abandoned.

It's entirely predictable that it will happen, and to my mind the penalty
is too great; the design HAS to be changed.

I DID read the instructions for RHL 6.0, and I decided that both the
workstation install and server install were too silly for words. The idea
that I want to wipe all partitions (server) or al Linux partitions
(workstation) is inherently unsound. I for one installed RHL 6.0 and ran
it on the same system where I ran RHL 5.x for some time. A workstation
install looks good, but it would have wiped 5,x from my system.

I have a machine here that IS a server; it used to run OS/2. Had I started
on that box with RHL 6.0, a server install would obviously have been the
right thing wouldn't it? It would, one might expect, install a set of
software appropriate to a server; samba, Apache, DHCPD, sendmail, a kernel
supporting masq, IP forwarding, etc.

In fact, the server install would have been completely useless (worse
actually) because I would certainly NOT wish to lose all (or any of) my
OS/2 partitions.

--
Cheers
John Summerfield