On Mon Oct 25 1999 at 15:44, Jay Turner wrote:

> > One thing that I would very much like to see are "Server" and
> > "Workstation" installation options given within the "Custom"
> > installation option.

> Have you taken the time to perform a 6.1 installation?  Once you pick either of

Of course!

> the Workstation options or the Server option, you are given the opportunity of

But not these options...

> manually partitioning the drives or having Disk Druid partition for you
> automatically.  This allows you to do just what you are describing . . . set up
> the partitions for Workstation and Server installations manually, but still
> have the rest of the installation performed automatically.  Try it out, as I
> think that you will find that you like it a lot better that what you are
> complaining about.

Ok, I'll have another look.  I've got a little bit of egg on my face,
I can wear that :)

Also, I'm not complaining about anything, just offering suggestions.
It's a damn fine product, with a good development and support team.

I was burned badly by previous versions of the installer, and I
haven't dared to even consider choosing the workstation or server
installs for fear of the installer deleting important data on my old
/home partition.  I have been using custom or kickstart ever since.

So I wasn't talking about the custom or workstation options... I admit
that I'm not familiar with them in the current release.

Still, allowing a choice of some basic package sets as a starting
point with the custom installation would still be a good idea.  As it
is at the moment, not even the Base packages are selected for
inclusion.  Surely this is broken and not what was intended.

Cheers
Tony