On Wed, 27 Oct 1999, Russell Steffen wrote:

> Anyone else notice that RH6.1 (and apparently the official kernel sources
> too) have an old version of the tulip ethernet driver. I can tell you from
> experience that anyone who installs 6.1 on a system with a recent Linksys
> card is for a mandatory scavenger hunt and kernel recompile.

Difficult subject... newer tulip drivers don't work with older cards.
There's been lots of discussion about the subject on linux-kernel, thus
far without any satisfactory resolution as far as I can tell.  It seems
that everytime the driver tries to get updated (Alan's put it in a
pre-patch or an ac patch a few times), there tends to be lots of cries
of breakage.

Jeremy

--
Jeremy Katz             http://linuxpower.org
Personal: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

QOTD:
I cannot believe that God plays dice with the cosmos.
                -- Albert Einstein, on the randomness of quantum mechanics