> > > Well there are several small editors for people allergic to VI, three
> > > or four mail readers, same thing with mailers.  I am a man of simple
> > > tastes: I want the best in everrything and I have no place for second
> >
> > I used pine a lot, as do many others. Many prefer elm. Which is better?
> > Pine users presumably think pine is, elm users disagree. Others again
> > swear by mutt; I thought it a bit of a dog.
>
> There are millions of Linux users coming from Windows who would hate
> such software.  But these people are a silent majority who don't dare

I can't speak of "millions of Windows users moving to Linux," whom I've
not met.

However, I have two daughters who quite happily use pine when netscape's
broken (as 4.7 is). Even though a computer on the LAN has RHL 6 and KDE an
GNOME and one of them uses GNOME on her own computer.

> I was thinking mostly in mh-exmh.  Are there so many people using
> them?  Are they so good they could not be dropped now that KDE and
> Gnome have what looks like far more exciting clients?

I would be extremely annoyed if exmh went missing. I got fed up with pine
(some of my mail folders got too big) and converted my procmail filters
and mail folders to mh. I do not wish to do that again.

Netscape's too slow and I couldn't see any sensible way to make it work
with procmail. Consequently I  didn't get to see how it handles my big
mail folders.

> > This argument applies equally to editors... Not that the editors an email
> > clients amount to much.
> >

> Five or eight megs at most between console-based editors, mail readers
> and news readers.  A few more if they drop the desktop-backgrounds
> packages: with the exception of the NASA photos they are awful.
>

> > What I have thought of is putting XFree and everything that needs it on
> > one CD, everything else on another. I suspect that gnome and kde will
> > account for most of the increased bulk in the near future.
> >

> The RedHat install is designed in a way it needs all the packages
> being on the same media so either RedHat changes the whole philosophy

I am well aware of that; if a RHL distro won't fit on a single CD, it will
have to be split. If it's split, the the RHL installer will have to be
changed.

It's too soon for DVD, so that's not a choice yet, and probably won't be
for a year or two. We still have a 4X CD drive in the house; nobody's
rushing out to buy a faster one coz it works. I'm guessing lots of folk
are going to buy a CD writer before they buy DVD, and those people won't
be rushing out to get DVD as well. And DVD writers are far too expensive
just now.

--
Cheers
John Summerfield