If this list is not for a begginer please let me know were could I get some help.
THANKS VERY MUCH for your time and my apologies.
I am trying to move away from Windows learning PERL and CGI under Linux
Sincerely
Nestor Rizo-Patron

PROBLEM
NETSCAPE WILL NOT DISPLAY A WWW PAGE OF MY FIRST CGI.

OUTLINE
*Created first.pl and first.cgi both of which run ok.
*Used  ./first.pl, ./first.cgi, perl -c first.cgi, perl -cw first.cgi, chmod +x first.cgi to verify & run the script.
*They ran according to the Text Book. Therefore, I believe the code is OK.
*Placed first.cgi in /home/httpd/cgi-bin.
*Using file manager I do and Open on first.cgi.
*Netscape sends the error: "could not fdopen() the new stderr:"
*Then Netscape displays my first.cgi script.

FACTS
*srm.conf has /home/httpd/cgi-bin/ as the ScriptAlias
*If I open using file manager /home/httpd/html/manual/search/manual-index.cgi (RED HAT default document) I get the same result. NO WEB PAGE BUT THE CGI SCRIPT and the Nestscape error mention above.
*Red Hat Linux 6 from CD of Naba Barkakati.