On Sat, 20 Nov 1999, Gene C. wrote:

> Browsing through the list of stuff in the latest version of rawhide, I found
> some new rpms: librep and sawmill.   The description of librep says it is a
> runtime lisp interpreter and sawmill's description says it is a lisp-based
> window manager (sounds similar to scwm but based on lisp rather than scheme).
>
> SInce this is in rawhide rather than rawhide/powertools, I can only assume
> that
> RedHat is considering including this in the standard distribution.  Will one
> of the current window managers be dropped?  The number of window managers
> included in the base is getting large.  Can someone enlighten me?

Sawmill is the best thing since sliced bread!  Really :)

In actuality, sawmill is a really cool, lightweight, lisp-based, GNOME
compliant window manager.  The nice thing about it is that it plays very
nicely with GNOME; it's configuration is done through a capplet, it has
a GTK+ theme (where it morphs stuff to match your GTK+ theme -- this is
really cool), a fair number of the popular E themes are ported to it,
etc.  Many GNOME developers and developers at RedHat have started to use
Sawmill, based on talking with a few of them and watching various lists.
There is currently a high probability that sawmill will become the
default GNOME Window Manager.

As to if any of the current window managers would be dropped, I wouldn't
think so.  It makes sense to have all the major ones in the actual
distro, so people can go try one if they hear about it from others.

Jeremy

--
Jeremy Katz             http://linuxpower.org
Personal: [EMAIL PROTECTED]