> Greetings,
>
> What do you think of the following proposal:
>
> I order to simplify for package authors/maintainers and to reduce
> duplication, distribute the source file packages in .tar.gz (or .tar.bz2)
> format. This avoids the need to provide both .tar.gz, .src.rpm and
> debian source files.
>
> Included in these tarballs add .spec and .dsc files together with
> the original .tar.gz package and .diff.gz files. Then everybody
> interested can build source/binary files for their own preferred
> distribution using the same source files!!

I don't see how it's simplified for someone who doesn't use both rpm and
deb; how can they test it?

For that matter, where can they find current documentation for building
RPMs? Forget distributed documentation; it was in RHL 3.0.3 but not since.
Forget Maximum-RPM - it's obsolete. I've downloaded in in the past week
and seen with my own eyes.*.

Speaking of my eyes; they just popped out of my head. I picked up my
keyboard and under it

under it there was a thumping great spider, about 7cm across. Fortunately
almost all spiders here are harmless, and this was one of them.

Sorry for the distraction; back to our regular program.

Some tarballs do carry spec files, and rpm seems to support them there:

[summer@possum summer]$ rpm --help | grep -3i tar
      --root <dir>         - use <dir> as the top level directory

    -b<stage> <spec>
          p                - prep (unpack sources and apply patches)
          l                - list check (do some cursory checks on %files)
          c                - compile (prep and compile)
--
      --rmsource           - remove sources and spec file when done
      --sign               - generate PGP/GPG signature

--
Cheers
John Summerfield