Jeff Johnson writes:
 > Alan Shutko wrote:
 > >
 > > Jesse Marlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
 > >
 > > > $ ping 205.152.0.20
 > > > PING 205.152.0.20 (205.152.0.20) from 213.71.215.54 : 56 data bytes
 > > > 64 bytes from 205.152.0.20: icmp_seq=0 ttl=251 time=1013.9 ms
 > > > wrong data byte #8 should be 0x42 but was 0x41
 > >
 > > I have experienced the same problems on my cable modem.  I've never
 > > been able to figure out why it happens, but it always goes away after
 > > a while.  Switching machines connected to the cable modem doesn't seem
 > > to help, so I've figured it wasn't my problem.

The problem is intermittent.  If I deactivate the device then reactivate
it, the problem goes away for period of time, but then network connectivity
starts to grind to a halt exponentially.  I unfortunately cannot switch
to another machine easily, because the downstream system knows the MAC
address of the ethernet card currently configured.  I will probably try to
test the card by removing the bridge and the plugging the card directly into
another machine, then start pushing data through.  It should at least let
me know if it is my card or the bridge.

 > It's a bug in ping (ping shouldn't be comparing timestamps, note that
 > byte #8 is always the sent packet byte #8 + 1 because the clock ticked).
 >
 > Upgrade to (or use the ping in) the Red Hat 6.1 netkit-base-0.10-37.

Thanks.