Hi all,

I'm working with a router which can dump copies of all IP headers it sees to
a UDP port on a given host.

I'm now looking into how to write the code that will decipher the headers.
All I need are the source and destination addresses and ports, and the length
of the packet, for traffic accounting purposes.

All of the tools I find on freshmeat sniff off the Ethernet, which is not
what I want - though it is possible to modify these to pluck the data from the
socket instead of from the Ethernet though I don't know how they "separate"
IP from the rest.

This would need to be in C (though I found some Perl stuff that can apparently
do it) since the link to be monitored can go up to 45 Megabits per second.

Thanks for any hints and clues!

---m

--
Miguel "Migs" A.L. Paraz                    IPhil Communications Network, Inc.
http://www.iphil.net        Business Development/Network Architecture/Training