I recently had this problem too.  The (-1) should be implying
a port number of 65535, which should be OK.  I've got two machines
that I recently installed RH 6.1 from the same CD.  Both installations
are seemingly identical.  However, on one, X fails with exactly your
problem, and is fixed by specifying the 7100 port.  Yet the other
system worked without a hitch.  I cannot fathom the difference.

On Mon, Feb 07, 2000 at 04:18:41PM -0500, Hal Burgiss wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 07, 2000 at 02:06:03PM -0500, Bob Tennent wrote:
> > I seem to have messed up something and can't figure out what.
> > The command xfs -port -1 produces the following unenlightening messages:
> >
> > _FontTransSocketINETCreateListener: Unable to get service for -1
> > _FontTransMakeAllCOTSServerListeners: failed to create listener for tcp
> >
> > On the other hand, xfs -port 7100 works fine, and I can then do
> > xset +fp tcp/localhost:7100 as usual.  So why does RedHat use unix/:-1 and
> > why wouldn't it be working?
>
> unix/:-1 creates a socket in the filesystem in /tmp. Likely things to
> look for are a) filesystem is filled past normal user limits (xfs runs
> as non-root user) b) permissions on /tmp are wonky. Another
> possibility may be that XF86Config is setup wrong. Needs to match
> init.d/xfs.
>
> Why? Dunno. Security maybe.
>
> --
> Hal B
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> --
>             Linux helps those who help themselves
>
> --

J. Scott Kasten

jsk AT tetracon-eng DOT net

"That wasn't an attack.  It was preemptive retaliation!"