John Summerfield wrote:

> > On Sun, 20 Feb 2000, Jaco Botha wrote:
> >
> > > 1. Compressed man pages
> > > There are several man packages that requires .gz man files in the %files
> > > section of the .spec file, but there seems to be no way of generating them
> > > either in the .spec or the package's makefile. (Example: kdoc)
> >
> > The version of rpm in our build system automatically compresses man pages.
> > You'll probably want to configure your rpm to do the same.
>
> Relying on non-standard behaviour (such as local configuration) is a BAD
> IDEA.
>
> rpms should be buildable by anyone, no messing around.

The scripts used to compress man pages and strip binaries are included
in the rpm package. Rpm's can be built as Red Hat does by adding to
/etc/rpm/macros:

        %__spec_install_post    \
            /usr/lib/rpm/brp-compress \
            /usr/lib/rpm/brp-strip \
            /usr/lib/rpm/brp-strip-comment-note \
        %{nil}

Judicious use of globbing in %files, as in
        %files
        /usr/man/man1/foo.1*

permit packages to be built with or without compressed man pages.
(It's the %files manifest that was screwed in the packages that
caused the original problem report).

73 de Jeff

--
Jeff Johnson    ARS N3NPQ