> Hey I'm just trying to shut down a few services that I don't want
> running on my system.  I edited /etc/inetd.conf and got rid of most but
> my HTTP smtp sunrpc (?)  and 6000 (X11) are still open.  I'd like to
> make my system as secure as possible so I'd like to close these.  But
> where are they and how can I do that without reinstalling or something
> that dramatic.

Remove apache if you don't want http; remove all the XFree stuff along
with gnome and kde etc if you don't want X11; w/o sunrpc you can't use nfs
or a few other things, and remove sendmail if you don't want smtp.

Makes me wonder why you don't just leave the thing turned off. Remove the
HDD, should be secure then.

Most would find well-configured properly ipchains provides adequate and
more practical protection.

All this is off-topic for this list; for configuring zoot you should be on
zoot-list; other similar on redhat-list (probably).

--
Cheers
John Summerfield